Paint

Paint….getting one step closer. Yay! Today is the start of the painters third week at the house. The first week was all preparation to seal the siding material on ceilings. After some research and test boards we ended up using an acrylic urethane, it left the wood looking very natural, and is low VOC. I wanted it all sealed so when (if I ever 😝) dust it the paint won’t flake. The old paint is beautiful. But I want it to stay on the old wood.

The painters got that done the beginning of last week. Then they prepped for paint on trim and baseboards. We went with an oil paint….not sure how I feel about it. Jose (the painter) said it would wash and wear better. And with four kids and white trim I was really wanting washable!!! The paint smell is so strong in the house now….with just the primer. I don’t know if I made the best decision to go with an oil base?? The wall paint is all going to be water based low VOC Benjamin Moore Aura paint.

They are using sprayers to paint so the prep is very labour intensive. Take a look.

IMG_3554

IMG_3553

IMG_3547

IMG_3551
It looks a bit like a spaceship in the house.

They primed all the trim on Friday and now are hand sanding it all before they start the first coat of paint. So I think it’s going to be another two weeks possible three to get all the painting done.

IMG_3549
The laundry chute upstairs. All primed.

IMG_3474
And (in other news 😉) everyone is pretty excited to have our piano here. It came from California the week before last. It’s Coles family’s piano. It’s been sitting unplayed for 20 years. It will be played often and much enjoyed in its new home. 🎶 I love the 80’s retro vibe of the piano.

IMG_3461

IMG_3498
So this is what the next few weeks are looking like. White paint and more white paint…..with a few surprise colors in the big kids rooms.

Thanks for reading
Hope you have a wonderful week
Holly 😊

Railing

Things are moving along at the house. This last week we got the railing over the loft and stairs done.

IMG_3338

IMG_3332
I wanted to keep the detail of the birdsmouth’s on the rafter beams to add some interest. And Because I think they look cool :). I had them all face into the loft so from downstairs it looks clean. But from upstairs it’s a bit ummmm…….random. 😉

IMG_3441

IMG_3440
Cole and Jerry (carpenter) notched the floor cap beams out so they lay over the drywall. This made it so there was no need to trim along the bottom, my idea……but a big job for them. That old wood is hard to notch out!!

IMG_3415
The posts and bottom floor cap are bigger beams, than the railing and the railing cap. The guys drilled a hole in the bottom of the beams and places it over these pipes. They won’t move….ever. Super heavy duty.

IMG_3489

IMG_3491

IMG_3497

That new wood, in the foreground of the photo with Big T looking over the stairs, is our wood floors for the upstairs. It is acclimating now. Excited to see how that is going to look. 😄

I was not sure what we were going to make this railing out of. There was a lot of time spent on pinterest. We looked into wood with pipe, iron, even old doors. But we had all this reclaimed wood left over, and it seemed silly not to use it. I am happy we did.

I was very worried that the wood was going to look too heavy. But it seems to work with the height of the loft railing from down stairs. And upstairs it makes the loft/playroom really cozy. And it gives everyone a chance to see all the detail, nail holes, saw marks, white paint and age of this pre-civil war era wood.

Andddddd…….added bonus is I can relax when the kids are upstairs. The 11 foot fall was always worrisome for me. 😁.

The base and trim are all done as well, so now on to paint.

The painters are in and busy prepping, we were going to paint ourselves but our painter talked Cole into letting him. 😋. He will do a much better job than me….

IMG_3478
And our ever present little helper…hauling rafter railing up the stairs. 💙

Happy Saturday everyone.
Thanks for reading,
Holly 😊